I'm reeling with a sense of profound "right"ness after reading (skimming, really) an article in the May issue of BuddhaDharma magazine. In it, three distinguished teachers who have made public service a calling—Venerables Robina Courtin, Paul Haller, and Bernie Glassman—discuss right action and how it manifests in this complicated world. (The topic is a particularly chewy one for Westerners, who so often come to Buddhism because they want to meditate peacefully, and be free from the more distressing aspects of life.)
So the teachers are chatting away, and make mention of the multitude of practice options that are available (at least in theory) to the American layperson. Predictably enough, just like with any other area of life, we commodify "practice." It's easy to start strategizing about how best to exploit various practice places and styles for my own gratification. I have also enjoyed speculating about further professional training; perhaps I should investigate (or return to) this or that practice center. Alternatively I could grow organic produce, or be a neurobiology researcher.
This sort of thinking has never yielded a satisfying answer. Therefore I do not willingly engage in it any longer.
But if that materialistic mindset doesn't solve anything, yet I know I'm not going to be working retail and eating food stamps forever, in what direction should I turn my overeducated little mind? Ven. Robina sliced to the point, in less time that I'm taking to tell you this. To paraphrase:
Ask what you can do that will be of the greatest benefit to the world. And just do it. That might mean being a renunciate nun, or it might mean getting married and having ten kids.
The question isn't answered, but the ground from which to ask it is clear. Presuming to pursue the dharma from any mindset other than this, the bodhisattva's, is disgusting. And I have been so disgusting with this "figuring it out."
Mushin said yesterday, "Some people are wasted by living a monastic life, and some people are wasted by not living a monastic life." She's right, but it's taken me a long time to start to see that there is no "better" or "worse" undertaking within the life of the dharma. Just what is appropriate for a particular person at a particular time.
And because we are so prone to flitting about—wanting to have it "our" way, whatever that means—a bit of committment to the undertaking is never a bad idea; a sense of deeper purpose and a few obligations to those we love can help keep us steady. As can debt, and lack of alternatives.
But I digress: Forget me. What is the most beneficial thing I can do?
What is the most beneficial thing I can do?
(I should confess that I do have a notion. It did not come from thinking. I am not saying what it is yet, though.)
Friday, May 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That just cleared a whole bunch of things up for me at once.
What a fantastic post. Thank you.
doesn't mushin mean "no heart"? That seems a little bit heartless.
Mushin's name is a great one; it could also mean "No Mind" or, more appropriately "Mind of Mu."
On some level, as the sage said, "not a single thing exists," and Mushin is one with it all!
Post a Comment