Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Iraq: "Your Life is My Life"

:...and my life is your life."

So goes a song the kids sing in the Sunday Dharma School at the monastery. (I think Genmyo composed it because he wanted the kids to know about Bodhisattvas.)

There are people, even now, for whom events have colluded to generate a strong sense of purpose. These individuals work and struggle; they encounter great loss, face terrible decisions, grieve and act, steadily, to try to address the terrible immediacy of the realm where they find themselves.

They may not always agree with one another. But we would be extremely foolish to think that we are not intertwined with them in the most intimate and immediate way. I could not be myself, and my life could not be my life, just as it is, if there were no war in Iraq, for example.

This is not even remotely a political blog. I am not interested in politics; I am interested in people; in the cause of suffering and the end of suffering.

Nevertheless, I have noticed that the US has been embroiled in Iraq. For some time now.

And so I've added some really fascinating blogs to the sidebar...mostly because I want to keep up with the experience of people half a world away who are in the midst of a reality I can barely imagine. For them, the matter at hand goes far beyond politics.

You can draw your own conclusions about Bodhisattvas.

No comments: