I was once a graduate student conducting research into the genetics of aging and lifespan. I authored a Genetics paper Genetic Analysis of Tissue Aging in Caenorhabditis elegans: A Role for Heat-Shock Factor and Bacterial Proliferation.
Received my PhD in early 2002 and went to live at Tassajara the following year. There are few things I miss after taking that unavoidable leap. I'll always have the skills I learned in graduate school: comfort with a destinationless grind; familiarity with Photoshop; appreciation of a flexible schedule; enthusiasm for commuting on foot.
Not to mention extemporaneous speaking. As a child and teen, I had a stutter, and I prayed for an end to it. After five years of routinely defending my research strategies before an audience, it was gone.
Wednesday, February 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I stumbled upon your blog on accident one day, and I just feel oddly compelled to tell you how much I seem to connect with your words.
I recently left grad school for greener pastures. Many people have said that I am crazy for giving up on film school so easily. Your stories give me heart. Thanks for being you.
Post a Comment