Friday, August 11, 2006

Shugetsu Conquers The World. Sort Of.


self-portrait
Originally uploaded by Goodbye Kitty.
I got my very first check from my very first copyediting gig today. I am thrilled beyond belief.

What's more, the inimitable Mary Jo Matsumoto has profiled me (me!) on her style blog (style blog!), if you can imagine such a thing. She says really nice things, and she made a great montage of some of my flickr images too. I say it's worth a look.

The photo you see here is MJ's self portrait. She's an example of being truly yourself in the world, doing that one thing that only you can do. Ganbatte!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Your photos look great. I'm greatly amused that you visit the BBC Radio Ulster website. As an NI resident I have to ask: why?

Chris
AKA watch-the-birdie

Shugetsu said...

Well Chris/WTB, since you ask I have to answer..and as a person committed to the truth, I guess I have to tell the truth. So inconvenient.

I could say that I listen to BBC Radio Ulster because there is a particular accent that I love; the simple flow of language that reminds me of a beloved deceased teacher of mine, who was from Northern Ireland.

I could say that I listen for the traditional music programmes, which is also true; or the humour shows, which are quite devilish.

These are all true, but the real reason is that I am in love with Northern Ireland.

Before you roll your eyes, let me say that I'm not the typical misty-eyed American yearning for the ould sod. I have relatives in Cavan and in Galway, and my father is a (repatriated) citizen of the Republic of Ireland. I do not make a fool of myself on St Patrick's Day or decorate my house with leprechauns.

I understand why my ancestors would want to leave the lives they left, and I see that life everywhere is imperfect. I love visiting my relatives in the Republic, but I don't particularly appreciate southern Ireland in an emotional way: something has been lost there in the past ten years, and replaced with out-of-scale construction.

I love Northern Ireland because many people there were extremely kind to me: Zen acquaintances who became friends, and numberless generous people whose names I never learned. I love Northern Ireland because it is a place trapped in time, ready to emerge into something new.

I hate to say it: I feel like I belong there. Or part of me feels it; or part of me belongs. I live in Portland, Oregon, one of the most livable, friendly and vibrant cities in the US, if not the world. I am delighted to wake up every morning.

And yet occasionally I realize my body is in one place and my heart is busily restoring an abandoned farm somewhere in Co. Down.

When that happens, I pretend to myself that this is Belfast, blink hard, and open my eyes onto a world I suddenly love.

There are worse afflictions. I hope you don't regret asking.