Michael called me this morning, and wrote this at my request, because I know some people have found this blog in their search for news of Dharma teacher John King, who died of throat cancer last night.
For a long time, he was unable to eat food, but he continued to teach with a luminous intensity that was truly striking.
Before I turn things over to Michael, I'll say that one thought in my heart has to do with the fact that being ordained and holding the position of a Dharma teacher allows one to be witnessed performing a total service to the world in a way that a hidden life does not.
To my dear Dharma sister Shugetsu,
It is with heavy heart that I write you this morning. Our friend Hogetsu (Max) just called, and passed on word that dear John King died last night. As you know, John had been sick for a while. I feel very fortunate to have been able to not only sit with him at Hartford Street Zen Center, but to work as his kitchen assistant while he was tenzo for a sesshin we led there. John seemed to sense the urgency of practice--sometimes it was almost as if he himself composed the words painted on the han, this practice was so deep within him. Even as he and I stood around the kitchen drinking too much coffee, it was clear to me that he wasn't wasting a single moment at all--he was practicing, practicing, practicing.
I understand that some of the final talks and teachings he gave also focused on this practice of urgency--that in his final illness, he gave teachings that were clearly meaningful and relevant to our day to day lives. I remember a story of a dying zen master (was it Dogen?) who, while in his final moments, wrote the characters for "Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha" around a pillar in his room, and circumambulated the pillar, continually taking refuge in his final moments. John didn't need to write on a pillar- - it was clear to me that he practiced as if the entire world were the Triple Treasure, and he worked, though the example of his own practice, to show us all how to truly take refuge, to truly live the Buddha-Dharma.
Many people in San Francisco loved John. This was clear when I went to the part/"living wake" at his house a month or two ago--the house was overflowing with people, all there because they truly loved this great man, and were inspired by his practice. Others knew John better than I, and I'm sure that they (or his heart students) could write a more fitting tribute than I have done here. This small letter is just the deepest expression of my own heart--in deep sympathy for his departure, and in deep joy for his life. John really inspired me in my practice, and I grew to call him "friend." May his life and his practice only continue to grow--informing, inspiring, and enlightening all beings. I vow to truly undertake this practice of urgency--this practice of refuge as daily life. May I someday come to understand and live this practice as John did.
Blessings,
Michael.
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Me, Lama, and my Dharma friend Sean just did phowa for John over the weekend. It was REALLY intense and amazing. Phowa is the ceremony of "transference of consciousness." A very very powerful ceremony.
After we had burned away John's obstacles and obsucing karma, the phowa / transference of consciousness began. At the end of this visualization, I had a VERY strong sensation of John there with us. He clearly said "I'll see you next time!" then came a stong feeling of weight-- heavy body, hard to breathe-- like being pushed down... was suddenly followed by lightness, and release. We all agreed that something big had happened, all of us having felt the energy shift in the room.
~Yeshe
Post a Comment