Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Liberation from All Obstructions

In appreciation of Shodo Harada Roshi, Zen teacher Hogen Bays composed this prayer of surrender, and courage. I posted a preliminary version earlier. I find this current formulation very helpful, and I think it makes clear the meaning of "choosing to be present with what is."

Beings Aspiring to Buddhahood
In the presence of Sangha, in the light of Dharma, in oneness with Buddha--may my path to complete enlightenment benefit everyone!

In this passing moment karma ripens and all things come to be.
I vow to affirm what is:
If there's cost, I choose to pay.
If there's need, I choose to give.
If there's pain, I choose to feel.
If there's sorrow, I choose to grieve.
When burning, I choose heat.
When calm, I choose peace.
When starving, I choose hunger.
When happy, I choose joy.
Whom I encounter, I choose to meet.
What I shoulder, I choose to bear.
When it's my birth, I choose to live.
When it's my death, I choose to die.
Where this takes me, I choose to go.
Being with what is, I respond to what is.

This life is as real as a dream; the one who knows it cannot be found; and truth is not a thing, therefore I vow to choose THIS Dharma entrance gate! May all Buddhas and Wise Ones help me live this vow.

No comments: