Thursday, March 29, 2007

Zen and the Japanese Woman


Yumi in the Garden
Originally uploaded by Shugetsu.
Yumi is a remarkable young Japanese woman. We first met in Corvallis a year ago, and I was honored to show her around Portland on a recent visit.

Being with her, I remembered what it is to fall in love with a foreign land. To see the shops along NW 23rd and the trees strung with lights; to meet cool friendly people at every turn; to soak up the vibe at coffeeshops and teahouses. To feel that a place is perfect; to not see any faults at all.

I felt that way about Japan once, just as she feels that way about my home now. The reality of one's own life is so draining, compared to the promise of a world that is bright and foreign and unsullied by familiarity. Through her eyes, I saw just how remarkable my life is.

The lives of women in Japan are not like my own. The lives of most women are not like my own. There is so little these days to wear me down, or exhaust me, or cause me to lose my sense of self. The only real challenge resides within; and whatever lurks in the darkest depths has created few allies on the outside.

Yumi said that there is a trend for women in Japan to practice Zen. They visit temples to sit zazen, draw Buddha-images, and eat shojin-ryori (delicate and lovely "temple food"). These things are all considered healing.

I reflected on this story, and resumed a dormant practice: drawing Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. In female form.

OM TARE TUTTARE TURE SVAHA

TARA

1 comment:

Bijoy said...

interesting stuff you have got here. the differce is never in region or race of women heart to keep the away. keep up the good work.will be back
regards Biby - Blog