Recently I showed up several days into a sesshin. In order to respect others and to quiet my own mind, I undertook the practice of not looking at people's faces.
I already knew most of the sesshin participants. Even so, I mistook some friends for others; quite sweet and funny to discover this.
Others in attendance, I did not recognize. In the days that followed, I came to know their feet, or their backs, or their legs, very well indeed. At no time did I yearn to see their faces. Their bodies radiated emotion and personality so vibrantly; what I sensed from them seemed truer than what a facial expression might convey. The face shows what you're thinking; the body shows what you are.
I think the creators of this cheesy-yet-curiously-moving line of tchotkes know this to be true.
Friday, March 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment