Saturday, November 25, 2006

Liberation from Karmic Obstruction

A working version of a verse for avowal of karma, by Zen teacher Hogen Bays.



In the presence of Sangha, in the light of Dharma, in oneness with Buddha
In this passing moment
I now choose what is:

If there’s cost, I choose to pay.

If there’s want, I choose to give.

If there’s pain, I choose to feel.

If there’s sorrow, I choose to grieve.

When burning - I choose heat.

When calm - I choose peace.

When starving - I choose hunger.

When happy - I choose joy.

Whom I encounter, I choose to meet.

What I shoulder, I choose to bear.

When it’s my death, I choose to die.

Where this takes me, I choose to go.

Because this moment is the truth-
Because all things change-
Because it is my life-

I will meet it!

May all Buddhas and Wise Ones help me live this vow.


(To avow is to own.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me a bit of St. Francis' prayer, but whereas his deliberately makes contrasts between good/bad/owned/given, this avowal swings between and embraces all, obviously (karmic debt being what it is). I have St. Francis' on my small altar; with your permission, I'll ad Hogen Bays' as well.

Shugetsu said...

I'm sure Hogen won't mind. I'll post a newer version if it appears.
Hogen has always taught this, and it's a useful distillation, full of heart.

Anonymous said...

Very nice, as long as "choose" is in quotes and includes the ever-implicit [wink, wink] [nudge, nudge] disclaimers.

Shugetsu said...

I'm not sure I see the need for nudging and winking.

You can fully meet your life as it is; or you can strategize/whine/tell stories about it.

Anonymous said...

perhaps the nudge nudge refers to the linguistic form . . . kinda like reminding someone to say "this is what arises for me" instead of "i do this"

-gassho-

Shugetsu said...

I think the important aspect of "choose" here is saying that I choose to meet "what is."

It is _not_ saying "I choose what happens, therefore if I get mugged on my way home I must secretly have requested that from the Universe."

The deeper fact of the matter, according to the doctrine of karma, is that we end up exactly where we're headed; that things don't just happen to us out of nowhere, but as a result of past actions operating on the present in ways impossible to fully comprehend.

But this chant is about turning the small self, the personality--which usually doesn't like to suffer, and which grasps joy too hard--in a wholesome direction.