Saturday, September 23, 2006

Feeling

I need to feel a little bit every day.

The body slowly opens; it doesn't always want to.

And so often the First Noble Truth is manifest:
There is always something to stretch the heart with grief. Or fear.
Always some new story of greatness or evil (or happily-ever-after-ness).

None of this Truth can be controlled or cut off. I do know though, that if I feel, the energy of thought and emotion flows through rather than becoming trapped in the body.

Trapped energy is tightness and dysfunction: I can say that from my own experience. And I think that reluctance to feel is one of the main impediments to spiritual practice.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Tightness. Dysfunction. Suffering. Fear. All of these are words that hit home for me right now. I don't know how to open to all of the suffering around me--and within me--without wanting to just run away. I'm trying to learn. It's slow work.