Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Taking Leave

I'd like to say that I'm packing and getting all my things ready to move down to Corvallis next week. In reality, I'm much more focused on wrapping up all the work-related projects I've taken on at the monastery. This actually feels fine; there doesn't seem to be much barrier between personal and work tasks. Given the choice, I would prefer to do the various things that count as work. Then, when it's time to stop, I stop.

I know I can throw all my things in the truck if time is short. I can't just throw ZenWorks orders--and the linen closet and the piece I'm writing for NW Dharma News--away over my shoulder as I drive off into the Willamette Valley for nine months or forever.

This acceptance of work as what I'd like to be doing anyway is part of a new trend. I've also noticed that I'm just not upset by the million things that used to yank my chain. Creepy visitors to the monastery; last-minute changes of plan; coyotes attacking the neighbor's cows while I sleep nearby; telephone rudeness; strange behavior by the usual suspects-- it doesn't seem to faze me. Once it's over, I idly realize that the exact same situation would have me belching flames a couple of months ago.

I don't know how long this will last, but I have to say: it's sure a lot less trouble than getting pissed off all the time!

No comments: