Monday, May 16, 2005

Vulnerability

It sounds obvious and pat to say that our everyday experience full of spiritual gifts.

But. It's. True.

Lately I'm coming to understand that every single experience in this life is an opportunity for spiritual practice and transformation. (To call this an understanding suggests that it is a mental formation like any other; rather, it's a deep feeling, a sort of discovery-in-process that confirms classic spritual teachings.)

"Every single experience in this life," includes objects, other people and the things they do, and the internal chatter of thoughts which apparently arise of their own accord. The thoughts are the toughest. A particular opportunity for practice lately has been to sit with, and feel, vulnerability, rather than reacting and making the leap to anger. Most of the time, I don't really know why I'm uncomfortable. By the time I realize it, I've slid into some state where I can't clearly see myself or my path to that state. It's hard to understand the mess from inside the mess!

No comments: