Sunday, November 02, 2008

Hoping for the Best

I really don't know how the election will go, and I can't say now what the future will hold if He and She hold power, or if The One sits in the Oval Office.

I am tired of electioneering; I am relieved that we will have something resembling a free and fair election, and that we will have it soon.

I have been giving money to the Obama campaign. Not much, but what I can afford. I think Obama is our best bet in uncertain times. I trust his analytical ability, his character, and his "elite" qualities: intelligence, understanding, accomplishment. I want a president who is smarter than I am, and more knowledgable than I am. I want a person who thinks before he acts, and who can articulate how his values shape his policy.

I did not plan to contribute money. But I did when I saw the really shameful behavior of the Republican machine. If you have the better policy, fine. Say so, say why, and let's discuss it. If you have the better candidate, delightful. Let her speak. But the nastiness, divisiveness, and bizarre comments--about "real" Americans and "not knowing" someone who's been under the public microscope for two ridiculously long years--those tricks make me sick. They are an assault on a person who has maintained his decency throughout the process. The only way I know to combat such filth is with commercial airtime.

So they have my $50. I hope they use it well. I hope that, in four years, I do not regret the expenditure.

I like this ad. It is sane. We need more sanity. We need a president who lives in the real world and who wants to make it a better place for the average American.



I donated last night, after I put the baby to bed. I cried in the monitor's glow. Hoping, hoping.

No comments: