Friday, February 22, 2008

10-Month Synopsis

I wrote this today to a friend who has the magical quality of bringing out very clear and simple missives from me. Perhaps this is because I don't know him all that well.

I sent him an email to tell him about the new ground of practice I am entering: one where body and blood are given over to another being, joyfully.

The baby was officially full-term yesterday. Not that he knows that.

Two years after my own monastic experience, I found myself very suddenly entering a phase of practice that included marriage and (very soon) family life. I had no particular plans, although I suspected beforehand that I would either be married OR ordain sometime soon; it seemed to be time for a long-term committment. I hadn't ever done anything for more than 5 years at a time, and I was very much wanting to be held by a vow.

I was also sensing that it was time to become a mother, not necessarily literally, but in the sense of undertaking some lifelong task that would be bigger than myself. I wasn't sure what this project would be, but I wanted to really work at establishing something that would last and have some sort of continuing impact.

I was working as a freelance math and science tutor and occasional substitute teacher. I slept on the floor of a tiny studio flat and kept life simple. I thought that writing a book might be the big and impossible future task that would consume my creative energies. I heard that a classmate of mine was in town (we were in high school together) and I thought I might interview him for the book. So we set up a dinner date.

As a teenager, B. was about the last person I would have imagined falling in love with. Not so now! Being with him felt very right. There was none of the wondering and inner debate that characterized most potential relationships.

Things moved quickly. We made plans to be together, we learned we were going to be parents, and we were married. Really a wonderful stream of blessings. Within a couple of months I had gone from a minimalistic existence to one that included a car and a husband and a baby on the way. I think we're a good influence on each other, and we really enjoy being together. He is funny and hard-working and my often-cantankerous mother just adores him.

The baby is due anytime really, but most likely after two weeks from now, and before five weeks from now. I'm planning to have him at home. I don't know if that's common where you are, but it's pretty rare here. Everyone thinks you need to be in a hospital, for some reason. We'll see how it goes; I can always go to one if need be, but I'm pretty sure that things will go fine. I can feel the little baby squirm and stretch and have hiccups; it's like I already have a little friend. When he comes out he'll be much more high-maintenance, though!

I don't know if that's more length than you were expecting in catch-up email, but there you go. I'm very happy to be in touch with you. I'm on a sort of getting-in-touch drive *now*, since I figure I'll be a bit absorbed with other things after the baby comes.

No comments: