This evening, I am delighted to be done with student reports. I had my exit interview at the school today. Barring any whining over semester grades on the part of students or their parents, I am done. It is time to focus on getting ready for the baby.
According to the authorities, the little already has a few hobbies: hiccuping, sucking, and squirming. The sucking reflex is so strong that infant (in and out of utero) will suck on anything, or nothing at all: hands, feet, wrists, your finger, a patch of exposed skin, a pacifier, or even a nipple. Unfortunately the sucking reflex is not accompanied by an innate opening-the-mouth reflex, which can be a problem when feeding time rolls around.
Hiccuping takes care of itself; I feel it about once a day, in the evening. I figure hiccuping is good practice for swallowing, another important skill we should all have perfected before birth.
Squirming is my favorite hobby du bebé. I mean, I enjoy watching and feeling the little one practice it. He is quiet during meditation, unless we're doing Tonglen. Today I prayed with each inhale and exhale:
Whatever fear or pain you may have brought with you
may it be let go.
Whatever unwholesome habits or predilections you may have,
may they be released.
Whatever anger, whatever issues, whatever distress you may bear,
may it dissolve away.
May you be happy and calm, wise and compassionate. May you have a joyful life and be a help to others.

let your light shine in
Originally uploaded by Sara Heinrichs (awfulsara).
Other squirming stimulants are: the first taste of food when we've been hungry for a while, and the scary parts of movies. I thought I could watch the latest Harry Potter DVD without having an impact on the wee one, but it's already too late.

No comments:
Post a Comment