Sunday, July 08, 2007

You Have One Wish...

In Japantown today, there were wishing trees for the Tanabata festival. At one point in the lunar calendar, the stars Rigel and Vega come near one another in the sky. The Japanese imagine that these are lovers being reunited. It's a very sweet summer holiday. A good time for invoking a certain celestial tenderness into one's own life.

People had written wishes in English, Japanese, Korean, and Spanish. Ninety percent of the ones I could read were for money ("OKANE!"). Five percent were for perpetual togetherness with a girlfriend, boyfriend or pet (too bad all things are marked by impermanence). The other five percent were for someone else's well-being, or for family togetherness. Those gave me a feeling like having found a gift.

As I looked at the trees, I knew what my deepest wish was. Not to become Buddha. Not, specifically, to free beings from suffering, or to serve the world in some way. Just to have a long and happy life with the man I'm going to marry. I think that does actually include sila, samadhi, and prajna. It includes someone else's well-being, and family togetherness. And I'm OK with that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stars do not move relative to one another.. their relative positions are fixed (at least in human life time terms). Perhaps you mean Jupiter or another planet and a star..?

But trust the science nerd to ruin the moment ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up. Are you getting married?

I met my wife shortly after I had embarked on a life simplification plan -- my life was chaotic and unmanageable. It was love at first sight and we're still together nearly 18 years later. Sometimes though, I think it is possible to decide to love someone rather than passively "fall in love." That's useful for getting through some of the hard times, which always come for everyone.

Chris