Dear Friends,
(And especially T-chan, DeShu, and Frobbo)
Yes, I made the blog secret for a day. 21 hours, actually. Not to shut you out, though! I'm fiddling around with the settings, trying to find a way to create some boundaries while still sharing my life with like-minded folk around the world.
The impetus for this is that I will be teaching next year, part-time, at a school that is named elsewhere in this blog. A school where I will be expected to project something like a professional demeanor.
Where I will not be able to tell my students that I am incredibly in love (which I happen to be).
Where I will not be able to buy tasteful and silly nude calendars made by the senior guys as a fundraiser. See, I tried to do this--right around the advent of the job that was abruptly listed, offered and accepted--in blithe ignorance of the obvious fact that purchasing said nudie calendar looks really bad. Mitigating factors do not save you when you're a high-school teacher. We gotta stick with what looks bad, in spite of the fact that I am, for example, not into 18-year-old. Or that I am a fan and family friend of one of the kids. Or that I thought it was hilarious, and I'd like to support the senior class--
--but not in that way. No no no. Deep breath. Accept embarrassment at hands of older and wiser faculty members, and move on.
The point of all this is that it's too easy to type in my given name (or the "Shugetsu" that decorates all my email messages) and end up here. So blog privacy hath arrived. Enjoy it.
Saved
Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
good to see you busy away writing here! i didn't know that you had a blog presence. very cool.
p.s. we have to get togther sometime soon outside of the school. although, i will be at the party tomorrow
xoxo
thanks for the private invite. missed reading you lately and it's always a nice breath of fresh air to see (a bit of) what you're doing. sounds like life is full of wonderful changes for you!
xx
mary jo
Hopefully you won't have to hide your entire personality!
I think it comes through anyway. Seems like the more people think they hide, the more they're showing themselves!
Still, on the practical level, there is to be no impromptu sharing of personal information. Maybe the improptu is best avoided altogether.
My ad-libbed neurobiology lesson called "let's talk about all the drugs we can think of" seemed like a great idea at the time. ("The time" being a frenzied day of substitute teaching sometime in April.) But kids complained!
I had thought I was being helpful, being a resource, and backing up the usual cautionary content with interesting info about the neurobiology of addiction. Some of my fifteen-year-old audience found it inappropriate. Others knew plenty.
So I'll be erring on the side of conservative teenage expectation. Now we know why our HS teachers were boring and stodgy-- we forced them to be....
I remember my Chemistry teacher taking out his Police-issued pistol and cleaning it at his desk. Another teacher was arrested and jailed for innappropriately touching quite a few of the boys under his care. I went to a different school from you, I think ;-)
Post a Comment