Recently, enough hearts have been getting broken around here in Shugetsu-land that we've decided it's time for Delia to find a man. An accomplished and handsome fellow who will show her to herself, and who will in return have the opportunity to find out firsthand if all those stories are true. It's a different world these days. Did you know you can shop for men on the internet? And that most marriages end in divorce? These days you can be my age and on your second marriage. And yet here I am, unwed at 33. So, is it unwholesome to consider prospective mates with an eye to the aftermath? Should I notice not only whether someone would be a good father (in case reproductive reality should manifest), but also whether I would want to share joint custody with him?I signed up with chemistry-dot-com, heard from exactly three men, and decided my next month and my next fifty dollars could be better spent picking up guys in coffee shops. I've met my two favorite new-ish male friends that way.I thought I'd share my profile, since I like how it came out. But you're welcome to comment, especially if you think you know why it was such a resounding flop--in a certain sense. I suspect certain unavoidable realities came into play: very little hair, very little boobs, very much education, very much meditation. I figured full disclosure up front was wise. And it's not as if I want to fight off legions of electronic suitors.
As a friend once said, "you only need one." And I'm not sure you even need one. It's good to know how to be single. And hearts…well, breaking is part of what they do. They feel, and they break. I couldn't want it any other way.

I’m a native Oregonian, but relatively new to Portland. I was raised on a sheep farm (yes, yes, I've heard that one) in the Willamette Valley. I read a lot of books and took care of a lot of animals—and eventually got the heck out of the wilderness and made it to California for university and grad school (at Stanford and
UC San Francisco).
Somewhere in the middle of earning a PhD in neuroscience, I realized I
didn’t actually want to end up where I was headed. So when I was done I went and lived in a Zen monastery. It makes sense, actually: you study the mind from the outside; and then you study the mind from the inside.
I like the inside of my mind better, and the outside of the monastery better. If you’
ve never lived in a monastery, let me say that it’s great to have a job and friends and unlimited menu options. Not to mention a beautiful city with lots to do.
I’m very happy to go to plays and galleries and films by myself, but it’s a lot nicer with a friend. And although I have a ton of friends (I’m sociable when I’m not cocooning), it’s a lot nicer to do these things with a special friend. And—do you have a car?—I’m yearning for trees and rocks and wild rivers. And the sight of barns and livestock I’m not responsible for.
I’m willing to be surprised by Mr Right, but I’m guessing he’s independent and self-motivated, professional and into what he does. He
doesn’t think of himself as a boring, regular guy, because he’s not. He’s probably got an adventurous background, a dash of international spice, and a willingness to sit and talk my ear off. He’s not a wimp, but he is kind and communicative. He can deal with alone time; he dresses up pretty good; his nose hair is under control. He probably has a hobby that involves creative expression. He’s still learning from life, but he’s pretty pleased with how the whole project has gone so far.
Let’s find out where it goes next.
8 comments:
Best of luck, Delia; I recently helped a 40-something female friend sift through potential eHarmony suitors. Thankfully, she has a strong sense of humor, which this endeavor ultimately calls for...at least in the beginning. I'm guessing the PhD >and< monsastic experience scared off most, but if the field of possibilities was anything like what my friend found on eHarmony, you didn't miss a thing. Stick with the coffeeshop, most definitely.
Any man would be lucky to know you. Don't settle for anything but the best.
Thanks guys. There are some awesome men in my orbit, or coming into view; I don't think I'll be tempted to settle.
sigh.. if only i dressed up good and had one of those nasal hair removers..
Another important prerequisite is that he can beat you armwrestling :)
And yes, coffeeshops are *much* better!
Another important prerequisite is that he can beat you armwrestling :)
And yes, coffeeshops are *much* better!
Hmmm. All well and good, well written . . . but seems to have unveiled the entire mystery of discovery that comes in the first encounter before any actual encounter? You wouldn't reveal a koan this quickly . . .
But what do I know of online profiles, I was dating my (now) spouse back when AOL was considered cool.
Gassho.
Perhsps of more concern, I'm realizing, is that what is unveiled is misleading. It's not the whole story, but it can be taken as such.
I realized while I was browsing others' profiles: everybody thinks they're a catch; everybody wants to meet someone fun; everybody is serious-but-cuddly. They tell you avoid cliches like "walking on the beach" or "curled in front of the fire"...but really the whole undertaking onscreen is a giant fairytale.
So, be assured. There's nothing of me here but the temporal scaffolding. Such information IS important for weeding out all the obvious mismatches. But it conveys no essence. Which is fine.
The pitfall is in thinking you know someone based on their profile (or their blog, eh?). The danger, magnified by media,is that you end up relating to someone who exists only in your own mind....
So the mystery is safe.
Post a Comment