I am getting excited about this trip to Ireland. Particularly seeing the North. Even though I say I want to look into Ireland's future, I'm nevertheless thrilled at the prospect of seeing old Christian and pre-Christian sites. Especially Emhain Macha.
Oregon is just as old as Ireland. Our soil and our rocks are as ancient, our hills as dignified. And in some ways it's so beautiful that Ireland can scarcely compare.
Fall is brilliant this year. In these rolling costal mountains, the maples are like golden spheres nestled in green velvet hills. Vistas change by the day, as colors become more mottled, and slowly start to fade. Like any living thing. The vineyard across the way is dusted with brilliant yellow across the tops of the vines, but the sheltered underparts are still green.
What Ireland has is tangible evidence of thousands of years of human aspiration and strife. Forts build to repel Vikings, Norman, and William of Orange. Old market towns and grand walled cities. But there are almost no old forests there: you might find a forest park on an old estate, or a new timber plantation. In Oregon, even the "new" forests are a hundred years old, and they're complicated, mossy and beautiful. Especially at this time of year-- breathtaking.
What Ireland has are people, and a march of human history that is stunning in its scope and often-terrible beauty.
Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment